Activities Control Devices
- detect and consider developments in the field of control devices at an early stage concerning safety and security of machines in a comprehensible and user-appropriate manner and promote qualified discussion between interested persons.
- Seminars on functional safety and validation in 2022:
- in Detroit, USA: May 23rd/24th
- in Toronto, Canada: May 26th/27th
The objective of the seminar was to give an overview of international standards for machinery safety and their application. These standards provide the basic technical rules for the design and use of safe machinery. The seminar was intended to transmit the participants the basic knowledge of these standards and their use in the industrial area. The seminar also showed practical application examples. The speakers gave information as experts involved in the standardization of machinery safety.
See presentations under: https://www.safe-machines-at-work.org/control-devices/seminars-functional-safety-and-validation/
- take control devices as an important element of machines into an integrated consideration
- co-design the international standardization if possible and transfer new findings on an international level
- elaborate a practical guideline to raise awareness for safety and security describing types and application of control devices: what has the control device to do and with whom has it to communicate? A message for customers: make your networks safe. The manufacturers of components should give advise but will not be responsible.
Good example from practice: Functioning of a redundant system
Standard installation without safety shut off valve. Failure of single control valve leads to an accident
Installation with safety shut off valve. Failure of single control valve, accident avoided by safety shut off valve
Installation with safety shut off valve. Failure of single control valve, one failure of safety shut off valve, accident avoided by safety shut off valve